Sunday, April 1, 2012

Social Media: Raising the need to learn new age socialization.

Social media has evolved as big change in the way we think. Corporate world has taken it forward with Enterprise Social Networking. All in the business have accepted the fact that Social Mediation has been a revolution and we have been part of it in some way.

History has proved that thoughts which have the ability to connect people across the society are revolutionary but only if you get it right. Citing some example, the freedom is good but killing in the name of it does not seem right. Earning money is good but stealing does not seem good. Same way socializing is good but publicizing your private life does not connect with me.

I have been on Facebook since long and I am big admirer of the revolution. It helps to share your thoughts, your work with the people you know and outer world through them. It’s an amazing medium to share other's thoughts which are of your liking. It’s also a good medium to dissipate the information you would like to share with your known ones.

Having said that I always feel that socialization should and conceptually has two aspects public and private. Its every individual's right to decide on his/her personal or private boundaries. It’s an individual's choice if his bedroom is his private affair or public. But along with it i do certainly believe that as an individual I have the right to decide on what I would like to hear. There are individuals who have great talents to share which I would like to know about but I am not interested in anyone's personal life. Sadly there seems to be no way of defining the kind of information and it ends up creating noise or crap on my space.

I don’t feel there is something to get annoyed when I feel that if you had biscuits in morning breakfast, how am I bothered, I am not interested. It’s like I love to go hear Sonu Nigam or Metallica any day, but if they say they have a glass house and anyone can go and sneak into their private lives then I am not interested. Publically it’s the thoughts and talent of people which attracts but their personal lives. The problem in Facebook or other social media is there is no way to specify your definition of public information you would like to hear.

Another fact by human phycology (wether we accept it or not) the relations are like the spiralled DNA. There is a process on how an information should unwind like the unwinding of a spiral, there are few who expect and have the right of an information first. Flattening the relationships may lead to loneliness as people would start taking you casual and a person might end up in only virtual existence.

It’s so strange that even if someone says "My dog died yesterday" you would find people liking it. One of my friends posted his experience of foreign trip and I asked "Which place you went?" and there were likers for the question as well. I think the social mediation platforms have increased the need for relearning the social behavior and mannerism. There is an interesting song a singer has created (may be out of his frustration) "Facebook, what an idiot". I believe it’s not but people have made it look like an idiot.

So primarily, I am trying to talk about couple of aspects, one, people need to learn the new form of socialization, understand what is considered as private information and what is public. Second, people need to understand to react for information. People do get too private sometimes and forget Facebook is not a media for every information. Sometimes relationships are flattened by doing so.

2 comments:

  1. I could relate to what you said in your post.Probably this is the voice of many people those who are regular visitors on facebook. Its upto us to maintain the sanity. Crisp article - strikes straight into ones head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aditi for taking time out and reading.

    ReplyDelete